In the Al-Afrang neighborhood in Ismailia governorate, one of the oldest regional museums in Egypt, the Ismailia National Museum, has settled.
The Ismailia National Museum was opened in 1934. It was built in the form of a temple edifice by engineers working in the Suez Canal International Maritime Company (the Suez Canal Authority currently). The idea of its establishment came in conjunction with the excavation of the Suez Canal, when the French archaeologist Jean Cleida carried out excavations in archaeological sites around the Suez Canal and North Sinai, which resulted in several antiquities, which prompted the thought of establishing a museum whose goal is to preserve On the discovered antiquities and display them in a way that facilitates their study.
The museum contains about 6000 thousand artifacts, of which 2000 pieces are displayed covering the various historical stages of the Egyptian civilization. The most important of these pieces are: a granite statue of the Sphinx from the Middle Kingdom, a marble sarcophagus for a person called “Jed Hoor” from the Ptolemaic period, as well as a pyramid from the era of King Ramses II, as well as the mosaic that adorns the main hall.