Articles Sightseeing The Tekya Mawlwya
The Tekya Mawlwya is known as one of Egypt's archaeological landmarks in Sioufia Street. The Tekya was originally a school established by Prince Shams al-Din Sanqur al-Saadi. The school consisted of an open courtyard, of which only a water fountain remained. On both sides of it were small rooms for students in the Ottoman style.
The Mawlwya hospice was established in the year 1005 AH / 1595 AD as a housing for the poor, and its facade was distinguished by its combination of the Mamluk and Ottoman styles. Among the extensions of the Tekya is El Sama khanna or El darawish theater, and it consists of a round wooden platform with a circle of a different color, surrounded by a wooden balustrade with two doors for El darawish to perform dances and circles of the remembrance of Mawlwya, while the second floor consists of a wooden staircase, irregular spaces for the audience, and a place for women.